Saturday, December 31, 2011

My Review Of “Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers”


sc 2So last night I was up late and ran across “Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers” on cable. I set back with all anticipation of finding every bit of this film as a horrible mockery of the horror genre. I was surprised. to find that that was not the case at all. Now I remember watching this film a few other times in the past but was pretty sure that I didn’t like it. I love “Sleepaway Camp” and I still sometimes stop and gasp over the exposure seen. That film was a classic to me. I know to most of the younger people today the old stuff is boring and ridiculous, my nephew even said that they were dumb because they were not scary! Can you imagine. If I rated every movie based on that my dvd collection would be very minimal.

 For me it was never about being scared for real! It was always anticipating what it was gonna look like when the head smashed or some body part was removed. Mostly for me the best thing was always seeing the endless variety of kill scenes and watching as the characters walked right into their deaths even though I would scream ecstatically at the screen for them to not go see what was taking dick so long, don’t go into the room at the end of the hall just because you think that you heard something. The different concepts of a slasher or psycho and watching their story play out against dark nights and eerie music was an epic moment for me growing up. Kinda still is!


Wow I really do ramble …anyway about “Sleepaway Camp 2” .  Yeah some of the actors were really bad and seemed intimidated by the camera, but not all were bad and the parts that did seem over exaggerated kinda made sense. The story stayed tight from the first film right up until the end of the series. For Angela’s character though at times seemed insufficient was either brilliant on the directors part or really bad. I believe it was genius. She played crazy right. Mostly she didn’t know she was crazy and by god she wanted a good camping experience without all the teenage bullshit and distractions. I do wish that she would have been just a bit more expressive and over the top with the crazy but her character was ahead of her time.  There could have been a bit more tension and suspense building up to the kill seen, but so what that doesn’t take away from the film if you realize what your watching. Angela is the star – she is not a slasher and this was not a spoof film as the tv description would have you believe.

 This was a dark comedy straight out. It was about a girl obsessed with kumbiya’s and s’mores and games and camping with other respectable people but never getting to have that because everyone around here were miserable selfish and disruptive. It was really closer to the modern horror/comedy than an 80’s spoof. This is gonna be a bad film if you go into it thinking you will experience jaw clinching suspense and big scares and shit. If you go in realizing that your watching a classic cult film about a disturbed young lady that just happens to kill the other campers for not playing along the right way and just absorb the fact that she is skipping and whistling while she is bashing peoples heads in, setting tents on fire in the same frame of mind as when she is singing and fishing and every other normal camp activity then I think more people will see this film as real classic that was ahead of its time.

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side