Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Playing The Part Of A Skeptical Dick: My Interview With “Provoked” Star Sean Carmichael



sean carmichaelDon’t be thrown by the title of this article because Sean Carmichael is not a “dick” –he just plays one in the upcoming paranormal thriller “Provoked”. Sean Carmichael plays that one guy on the ghost hunting team that just pisses everyone off. There is always one! Sean plays Taylor whom Carmichael declares is a “dick”. “He doesn't take anything seriously. He's crude. It's amazing that the team has put up with him as long as they have. He's pretty easy to hate.” he told me in an interview, adding that when he thought how the character should be played “ I was thinking about the role, I tried to hone in on what would piss me off the most in dealing with someone. Immature, antagonistic, self-centered, douchebag kind of just emerged from that. “

Sean Carmichael was born and raised in Rhode Island but now calls Lawrence, MA home. New England is probably one of the most active paranormal locations in America. It is also home to one of the most famous sites of murder which gave rise to a woman of legend that still fascinates and creeps kids out even today- Lizzie Borden. The place is also featured in the film “Provoked”. The film follows a group of amateur investigators who, despite investigating for months, have never found any proof of the paranormal. During the group's most recent investigation, like many times before, they come up empty. At this point, team member Matt losing faith in the existence of the paranormal and performs risky attempts to provoke the spirits. At first, Matt's taunts appear to go unanswered but while on his way home the investigating equipment starts to register at it's highest level. The spirit answered Matt's taunts and followed him home. Terror quickly escalates for Matt, and his girlfriend, who attempts to defend his house from the ghostly intruder.

Carmichael is a man of many talents, as well as acting he also writes and directs. When I asked him which he was more comfortable with, he had this to say, “I'm probably most comfortable with acting. It may seem counter-intuitive, but I don't like public speaking or giving presentations or anything because it's nerve-wracking to have all that attention. When you're acting, you aren't you. You are that character. So there's nothing to be self-conscious about. Writing and directing are such personal things that it's really easy to feel exposed. I enjoy it all but there's less anxiety with acting.” going on to state, “ Deep down I've probably always wanted to make films and I decided to actually pursue it as a career a couple years ago. I wish it was something I figured out sooner. But on the other side, experiences I've gained in the meantime are something I can draw from and bring into the mix. “ Below you will find the rest of what Sean Carmichael had to say in our interview about the film “Provoked” and more.

ASouthernLife: You play Taylor in "Provoked", one of the paranormal investigators, a character that you describe as a "dick". Tell me a little more about the character and how he relates to the rest of the investigation team?
Sean Carmichael: Taylor is the guy that gets under everyone's skin. He doesn't take anything seriously. He's crude. It's amazing that the team has put up with him as long as they have. He's pretty easy to hate.


ASouthernLife: What about the character do you most relate to personally and how did you prepare for this role?
Sean Carmichael: I'd like to think I'm not that much of a dick myself. I tend to be really sarcastic and I think that's definitely something I have in common with the character. When I was thinking about the role, I tried to hone in on what would piss me off the most in dealing with someone. Immature, antagonistic, self-centered, douchebag kind of just emerged from that.


ASouthernLife: In the movie the team utilizes methods to draw out the spirits, how does your character feel about this method for getting proof of paranormal activity?
Sean Carmichael: Overall, it all seems like a joke to him. He's not passionate about it like other members of the team or anything. He's more skeptical and doesn't seem at all interested in the paranormal. I would say his skepticism along with his immaturity make him not take it too seriously.

ASouthernLife: Were you interested in the paranormal before signing on to this project? Had you been on any investigations?
Sean Carmichael: I hadn't been on any investigations prior to being involved with this film. I guess I try to be a skeptic, but I've heard some stories and had a couple experiences that put me somewhere on the fence, in terms of believing in it. I think everyone at some level has an interest in it, whether actively or not, just because it is such an unknown.

ASouthernLife: Would you go to extremes to contact the dead or is it a no-no?
Sean Carmichael: Absolutely not. I'm perfectly content not having ghosts hanging around.


ASouthernLife: How does it feel to be filming in the Lizzie Borden house?
Sean Carmichael: The Borden house was fascinating. I grew up in Rhode Island so being close to where it happened, everyone knows the rhyme and the story. The fact that it was the actual house and that they had artifacts and photographs was unreal. It was a little unsettling being in the exact location where people were murdered but there was so much history that it was a great experience.

ASouthernLife: Have you had any ghost experiences or had anything strange happen while on set?
Sean Carmichael:We did an actual paranormal investigation at the Borden house the day after we filmed there. We were using the actual equipment and Jordan, the director, was guiding us through what we should be doing and looking for. I had an Electromagnetic Field reader and as we were going through the house I kept getting hits on it. The worst was when we were on the third floor. I kept getting stronger and stronger readings, especially in what was the maid's room. It was pretty creepy because it seemed to coincide with questions that Jordan was asking. There were also random spots in rooms where the temperature dropped by about 5 degrees. It was weird. Since I was the one that seemed to be getting the most activity, I was volunteered to go into the maid's room on the third floor, alone. It may have just been my mind playing tricks but after I asked the first question I heard a faint humming behind my right ear and felt what I swore was someone running their fingers across the back of my neck. I'm not sure if I could've left that room any faster than I did.

ASouthernLife: Growing up did you explore haunted locations? Was there a lot of ghost legends in your town?
Sean Carmichael: New England has such a long history that there's a number of locations and legends in the area. In Rhode Island there's a couple big ones. There's the story of Mercy Brown, a suspected vampire. The most prevalent one though, especially with friends and people around my age was the Ladd School, a former mental institution. It was closed down over some pretty controversial allegations and people swear it's haunted. In my high school it was kind of a rite of passage to go and check it out, though I personally never went.

ASouthernLife:  What is the scariest ghost story that you have ever heard?
Sean Carmichael: The one with the bloody hook.

ASouthernLife: What are some of your favorite horror movies?
Sean Carmichael: Horror movies are always a little tricky for me. I'm not a huge fan of the traditional slasher flick. Films that tend to have more of a psychological edge to go along with the horror are the ones I gravitate to. Alien was always a favorite and responsible for countless nightmares as a kid. I know it can be divisive but I love 28 Days Later. I'm a big fan of Danny Boyle as a director and the cinematography, especially in the opening sequence, is gorgeous. And Provoked, of course.

ASouthernLife: Who in the cast do you think would be most scared of a paranormal encounter?
Sean Carmichael: So who do I want to throw under the bus? I guess I have to say me because my bravery lasted about thirty seconds when we did the investigation at the Borden house. I don't know, I think if any of us were faced with a paranormal encounter we'd be pretty terrified.

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side