Tuesday, May 28, 2013

When Fear Met Fate: My Interview With Film Producer David Langill



david langillIt seems that horror and David Langill have always been entwined. Not just since finding his true talent as Producer, being able to pull in some iconic names for modest Indie projects and maintaining a productive structure that will always a project to thrive, but since his childhood Horror has ruled within his stars. (An astrology reference.) David was born on October the 29th so close to our sacred season of dark revelry, for him Halloween and horror were solid building stones to a future in the Horror community.  With several projects under edging closer to “finished”, currently “Provoked” and “Erebus” are in post-production, and several more in pre-production it is safe to say that the “horror bug” is firmly nested under this guy’s skin.

Producing is not David Langill’s sole forte, the former police officer from Massachusetts, (David started out with a professional career in law enforcement when fate changed his course), has also done some acting, writing, set design-you name it and if the job calls for it-he can be it. Though it is safe to say that Langill is more comfortable behind the camera choosing to take on smaller roles on screen. His mantra is as he states “ if I can't find an actor better than me, I'm not doing my job.” A belief that can only benefit the cast and crew of whatever project he is involved with. Anyone could easily take advantage to pump their own ego up or leap frog their acting career until they land leading roles. It proves Langill’s humbleness and drive to produce quality, fun and worthy horror for the fans-after all fans often become the best horror genre film makers. The man has the drive, he has the passion and obviously he has the connections to see that the film’s vision is realized, as you can tell from our interview.

 ASouthernLife: You are producer on "Provoked" as well as several other projects, when did you get into film making or realize you wanted to make movies?
David Langill: The, I guess you could call it, "bug" hit me in 2004 when I was filmed along side Robert England in a tv series called 'A Nightmare on Elm Street: Real Nightmares'  The casting department found me on the streets of Boston while I was out with a group of friends for my buddy Jay's bachelor party.  The casting department asked if anyone had fears and my friend Mark, knowing about my snake fear, got me from inside.  I was interviewed on the street and told them about my fear of snakes and a nightmare I had.  Being a bachelor party and all, I to this day still do not know exactly what I said during the interview.  Needless to say, they called me the very next day and wanted me for the show. 

ASouthernLife: So what was that experience like?
DavidLangill: They flew me out to California twice and Mr. England came out to Boston to film some scenes for my episode.  It was a huge production with New Line Cinema and CBS backing it.  Unfortunately, the show never aired.  It was supposed to replace a show mid-season but the CBS Producers decided to keep the other show on and not run Real Nightmares.  It was an amazing experience and I knew I wanted to do more but at that time in my life, I was concentrating on my law enforcement career.  It wasn't until 2008 when I got back into the entertainment field and kept with it.

ASouthernLife:  What drew you to this project and working with director Jordan Pacheco?
David Langill: I met Jordan a couple years ago on another feature I was producing, where Jordan was a special effects makeup artist on it.  Since the first time meeting Jordan, we have worked together on a number of projects.  When you talk with Jordan, it is easy to see his passion for film.  Jordan loves making movies, talking about movies, watching movies and being a horror fan is an added bonus.  I'm asked to produce a decent amount of times by people and I do not take on everything presented to me.  What drew me to this project, and working with Jordan again, was the fact that Jordan's communication, passion and attitude is unmatched.  Part of properly planning and organizing you need a director that picks up the phone when called.  Plus having a director that allows me to properly do my part, is extremely helpful.  I've seen others who approach every idea with resistance and that attitude never has a positive outcome.  Jordan's attitude, communication, passion and a great story immediately drew me in.  

ASouthernLife: What has your experience been like working on this project and getting to know the cast and crew?
David Langill: I had the pleasure of working with some of the cast and crew before and was finally able to work with others I've wanted to.  Working with Tony Moran again was, as always, an honor.  I finally got the chance to work closely with known Rhode Island based filmmaker, Richard Griffin who's skills and experience is a huge part in making Provoked the film it is. 

ASouthernLife: Any particular moments stand out?
David Langill: I've seen cast member's talents grow over the years.  One instance was with our lead actress, Nicole LaSala, who I worked with on a previous film.  Nicole's talents grew tremendously from that project to Provoked.  This was the first time I met our lead actor Chris O'Reilly who, at such an early time in is acting career, showed abilities that others have with years more experience.  Everyone involved with Provoked brought their A game each time.
Besides working with new people, Provoked did something to me that no other project- to date- has done.  I don't take on projects unless I am passionate about them, but Provoked took that to the next level.  I found myself extremely attached to this film and felt very emotional as filming came to an end.  I'm not ashamed to admit this, but while on set the last day, I was finishing up a slide show to play that night at the film's wrap party, and I was brought to tears.  I had to wear my sunglasses while working on it in hopes nobody noticed.   

ASouthernLife: Have you had any paranormal experiences on set?
David Langill: The day after we filmed in the Lizzie Borden house, myself, Director Jordan Pacheco, and cast members Sean Carmichael and Jami Tennille returned to the Borden house to perform an actual paranormal investigation.  While on the third floor the others were inside the maids room and I stayed in the hall.  They were investigating in the room and I stayed still outside the room and was just looking and listening.  At one point, I looked towards the far room (children's room) and saw what I describe as a shadow peeking it's head out the doorway looking towards the direction of the maid's room.  It almost looked like whatever was peeking out the room was checking out what the others were doing down the hall.  I don't know if it was my mind playing tricks on me but I immediately informed the others and they went into that room.  The investigative equipment registered in that room and the temperature dropped five degrees.  That same night, on the same floor (third), Sean experienced what he describes as humming in his ear along with something touching the back of his neck. 

ASouthernLife: Were there any other times that you got to explore the home?
David Langill: While Tony Moran was out here, from California, to film I along with Director Jordan Pacheco brought Tony to the Lizzie Borden house.  Lee-Ann Wilber who manages the house and Doc Sheridan who is a tour guild were nothing but hospitable.  Doc brought Tony on a great tour and told amazing stories about the house and history of the area.  During down time between filming inside the Borden house, myself and crew member Anthony Hoang found a Ouija board and started using it inside the house.  At the time, nothing happen besides Jordan getting upset thinking Anthony and I were going to wake the Bordens. 

ASouthernLife: You have also done some acting on several of the projects in development, is acting something you have always been interested in?
David Langill: I enjoy acting in small roles but do not feel my acting ability is currently at a high level. I feel I am more valuable behind the scenes but will go in front of the camera from time to time.

ASouthernLife: One of the projects is a fascinating film titled "Erebus", can you tell me a little about your role on that film?
David Langill: I am a Producer on Erebus and appear on screen in a small role.  Due to having worked with him in the past and maintaining a positive relationship, I was able to secure Michael Berryman to the film.  A lot of times in indie films, you (and others) wear many hats.  Besides being a producer, I was production manager, casting director, contributed to writing the story and more.  During Erebus is were I met Nicole LaSala, Anthony Hoang and Kerri Parente who are involved in "Provoked".   

ASouthernLife: How did you get involved with that project [Erebus]?
David Langill: I became involved with Erebus because, at the time, that is the film our production company decided to go with.

ASouthernLife: How about the film Almost Human, a sci-fi/horror flick that has heavy influences of John Carpenter, can you tell me a bit about your character in that film?
David Langill: I was the second second assistant director plus play the role of Hunter 2.  I joke around and say I'm really Hunter 1.  To date, I feel this is my most comfortable character I have played on scene.  I felt very confident and it may only last a few minutes in the film, but I still feel it was my strongest role I've played.  I meet Jami Tennille and Mark Greene on Almost Human and both are involved with Provoked.  I had a great time filming and will always remember this film in part due to the fact that I found the real Dumb and Dumber dog van under a tarp in the woods. 

ASouthernLife: You have worked with some horror legends in your career, has horror films always been a passion of yours?
David Langill: I have always liked the Halloween season and I'm sure a lot of that has to due to the fact my birthday is October 29th.  I have been extremely fortunate to have work with some of the best horror legends.  I would have never thought growing up that I would be good friends with the original Michael Myers.  

ASouthernLife: You are co-owner in Cut To The Chase Productions, how did that come about?
David Langill: Cut to the Chase (CTTC) was two years of my life in which I learned a lot.  Currently, CTTC has disband as a company but the name is still on a couple pending projects, Erebus being one in which I am still a part of.  I am currently not tied to any production company and work as an independent entity.  When the word got out that CTTC was disband, I was approached by many wanting me to join their company.  It felt good knowing that others saw what I have to offer and my abilities.  I have not official joined any company because like I said, I learned a lot from my time at CTTC. I use the phase, 'partners are meant for dancing"

ASouthernLife: It sounds like it may not have been the best of experiences.
David Langill: It wasn't all negative but it was difficult when you have five equal partners with each having a different level of passion for film.  Some only saw it as a hobby while others, myself included, spent all their time trying to better the company and wanting it to grow.  Each member was talented and it was a pleasure getting to know all of them.  

ASouthernLife: Can you tell me about some of the other projects on the table for future production? Any that really have you excited to see them developed?
David Langill: The day after Provoked wrapped principal photography, ideas started flowing for something new.  I remember it well when the idea came to me.  I was having lunch with Jordan Pacheco and Tony Moran when the idea of doing a documentary of Tony's life came to me.  To say Tony has seen and been through it all is an understatement.  A couple days went by of thinking about the project and before I green-lit it, I spoke with Tony in length.  The main question I asked Tony was are there any topics off limits and he immediately answered that there was not.  I green-lit the documentary and "Life of a Horror Icon: Tony Moran" was born.  I'm excited as we start filming in early June in West Palm Beach, Florida.  October 2013 marks the thirty-fifth anniversary of "Halloween" and we will also be filming Tony this October in Salem, MA plus other locations. 

ASouthernLife: What are some of your favorite horror directors and who would you love to work with in the future, whether horror or otherwise?
David Langill: If I had to give one answer, I would have to say Wes Craven.  Not only did working with Robert England ("A Nightmare on Elm Street") spark my career in film but I have also worked with Michael Berryman who Craven directed in "The Hills Have Eyes"  It could end with just the Nightmare franchise and "The Hills Have Eyes" but I was also a huge fan of "Scream" and it was my first horror film I saw in a theater. 

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side