Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Erin Marie Hogan’s Fighting Breath And Maniacs


My interview with Actress Erin Marie Hogan.

Erin Marie Hogan (2)
The Asylum are gearing up to do something almost unheard of for a straight-to-DVD company, they are taking their stuff to the big screen. #HOLDYOURBREATH will be The Asylum’s first ever theatrical release as the horror film that focuses on a chilling legend gets ready for it’s Oct. 5th premiere. Erin Marie Hogan is one of the young cast that will be solidifying whether or not The Asylum have what it takes. I think this will be a wise decision and great career moment for the young cast.

Born in St. Louis, MO. Erin took her first steps into show business as she started ballet at age 5. However her heart and passion lied in acting and soon moved on to bigger and better things. First she took on the St. Louis Opera House as a teenager after gaining a summer scholarship for their training program where she learned as much as she could even though she admits she was not outwardly social. It seems that Erin has grown out of that shy awkwardness and found her way into the world of horror. A place where shyness just doesn’t work, there is shouting, screaming in terror, fighting for your life while trying to keep your clothes on as some maniac or evil entity is out to get you.

Erin Marie Hogan has appeared in “Paranormal Entity”, “6 Guns” and “The Theatre Bizarre”. However the most recent and attention getting roles are yet to come as she deals with a haunting urban legend (“hold your breath when passing or traveling through a graveyard or the evil souls not allowed to move on will enter your body and take your life) and faces the brutality of the Axeman. I had an opportunity to interview Erin about just those to things as well as discovering that she still holds tight to her roots in St. Louis and is an admitted Cardinals fan ( my Dad’s influence made me ask the baseball question-it’s his home State’s team.) Here is my interview with “#HOLDYOURBREATH” and “The Axeman At Cutter’s Creek” Actress.

ASoutherLife: About #HOLDYOURBREATH, tell me about your character in the film?
holdyourbreath
Erin Marie Hogan: Natasha is the wildcard of the girls in the movie.  We have our preppy blonde, fun loving hippie, and the slightly darker souled Natasha.  Natasha is the girlfriend of Johnny and they haven't seen each other in ages.  In three short terms Natasha is: Street Smart, In Love, and Gullible.

ASouthernLife: This is Asylum's first theatrical release, do you feel any pressure about that?- because it kind of pushes the film out there to get more attention than other Asylum projects by a bigger audience (outside the base horror community, I have Asylum in my bookmarks).

Erin Marie Hogan: I feel a little bit of pressure this being The Asylum's first theatrical release and all, but I have to sit back and think about what I did, and what we all did as a team.  We created something together.  We all did our best to breathe life into these characters, this script, this story, and this legend.  If anyone along the way drops the ball, the whole thing falls apart , and that is out of my hands.  So I just have to remember: I did my best, I did what I could do, I should be proud of that.

ASouthernLife:  Is your character someone you relate to personally or is she the type you would avoid in life? (a kind way to say is she a nice girl or total -B-)

Erin Marie Hogan: Natasha is very much like me, at least Natasha is what I like to think I am.  She's a little different from the other girls, but genuinely cares about everyone on the trip.  She's got a sharp tongue sometimes, and only uses it when stung.  She leans on her support system-in this case Johnny... to be honest, I think Natasha has the attributes of a lot of 20 something girls.

ASouthernLife:  Had you heard the legend of holding your breath passing a graveyard before this film?

Erin Marie Hogan: My evil cousin told me the legend when I was a kid!  However, the way I remember it, she just said it was "bad luck" not to hold your breath.


ASouthernLife:  What was the scariest moment you had making this film (even though you knew you where playing a character and it was just a film), did you at anytime get a little freaked out?

Erin Marie Hogan: Linda Vista Community Hospital is considered one of the most haunted places in America, and that's where we shot the insane asylum scenes.  Sometimes that place could be legitimately creepy.  Everyone was hearing noises in that place, a low tone thumping no one could make out, and something that's sounded more female.  No one could understand her, or it, either.  It was a seriously cool experience.  Jordan Pratt (Heath) and I had walked a little way from set and someone opened the door all of a sudden in the total silence.  We both ran for the exit as fast as possible!

ASouthernLife: Besides #HOLDYOURBREATH you are currently filming "The Axeman At Cutter's Creek". In this movie your character is a bit more complex than a normal slasher character. You play a "first time" lesbian dealing with that and the new dynamic it adds to friendships while facing a pretty scary killer, is it a harder role to get into than you normally play?

Erin Marie Hogan: Playing Liz was amazing for me.  Sometimes your really have to stretch as an actor to make that character have depth, Liz had lot's of depth already, there was very little reading between the lines in my preparation.  It was especially amazing to play Liz to Jamie Bernadette's Tammy.  Jamie and I made a great team, she was so fantastic and giving.  All the emotions are genuine.  I didn't have to "fake it 'till you make it" a single time with Jamie.  Working with someone fantastic makes my job a lot easier.

ASouthernLife: Have you seen Scot Pollard as "The Axeman" yet?

Erin Marie Hogan: I have seen Scot Pollard as The Axeman!


ASouthernLife: How much of himself do you think Joston put into the Axeman character ( adhering to the belief that we all have a dark side).

Erin Marie Hogan: Hmmm..... If Joston has a dark side, it must be in there really deep!  He's such a chill guy!

ASouthernLife:  After reading this script how scary would you say this film is on a scale of 1-5?

Erin Marie Hogan: We know how slasher movies are, startle, squirm, ew, but often not very "scary."  This one will probably evoke startle, squirm, ew and a couple scares.  I think that's a total of five yes?

ASouthernLife: What character do you most relate to in "The Axeman"?

Erin Marie Hogan: Oh man, in reality I think I most relate to Stacy.  She's tough, she's really tough.  But she screwed up, and she knows it, now she's dealing with the consequences, but still passing it off like she's done nothing wrong.  Sounds a little like all of us I think.

ASouthernLife:  Who is your all time favorite Scream Queen?

Erin Marie Hogan: I miss Mary Elizabeth Winstead!  I loved her in scary movies.  I mean, good for her doing lot's of stuff, but Mary Elizabeth Winstead in Final Destination 3 will always be one of my favorites.

ASouthernLife: First horror film you ever saw?

Erin Marie Hogan: You know, I don't remember if it was It, or Poltergeist that I saw first, but they both scared me out of my mind when I was like 8!  I was horrified of closets, white noise, sinks and drains... I still have a totally legit fear of spiders.  Somehow I connected to thinking coming out of the brain in It as a big red spider.  Go figure.

ASouthernLife: All time favorite horror film (as a fan)?

Erin Marie Hogan: Candyman.  Right now my favorite horror movie is totally Candyman.

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side