Friday, May 17, 2013

Provoking A Maternal Phenomenon: My Interview With Camille Farnan



camille farnanA mother’s instinct to protect her children, at all cost, can be a powerful source of strength. In the supernatural thriller “Provoked” Camille Farnan must do just that, by all measure it is a situation that presents extraordinary events, under which the character “Liz’ must display this maternal phenomenon-known as Mother’s Love. In the film Farnan’s family is under attack by displaced spiritual energy that means to destroy them. Camille Farnan is a mother herself, so finding the drive to portray such a character is not far from her reach, although the circumstances do seem beyond the normal hazards mother’s normally endure. However, keeping their children safe does, at times, seem to create an almost supernatural means to do just that.

Camille Farnan knew she wanted to be an actress from an early age. In middle school she fondly remembers that she had “a very enthusiastic drama teacher who made me realize that acting could be fun and she encouraged me to continue to act. I did continue to study film and theatre at the University of a Southern California and tried my luck with acting for many years in LA. “  Currently residing in Franklin, Massachusetts Farnan is a mother of four, and can relate to the peril’s her character “Liz” must face as a mother, who desires to keep her children safe-all be it maybe not in such extreme realities as the ones her character faces in the film. Still connecting to the plight of “Liz” and a strong fascination with the paranormal is what drew her to the role.  I had the pleasure of asking Camille Farnan some questions about her character and her life in general, as well as things of a “ghost-y” nature.

*(It needs to be noted that not knowing which cast members actually filmed in the Borden house, I asked the questions pertaining to the famous location across the board. I had anticipated omitting those from the cast member articles that did not film there but the responses I received warrant inclusion in the article. They were answers that showed a personal connection the held toward the location and legend that somehow managed to flow with the interview, so I left them in.)

ASouthernLife:
In "Provoked" you play Liz, the mother of the young girl who is haunted. Tell me a little bit more about your character. Is it the whole family that is experiencing paranormal activity?
Camille Farnan: Hello and thank you for this interview. Yes, my daughter in the film is haunted. I play a single mother who has been experiencing paranormal activity in my home. I am at my wits end as no one has helped me after several attempts reaching out to clergy and others to come to our house to help me get rid of this paranormal activity. I finally reach out to a team of investigators who agree to come to our home. The whole family has experienced this activity, especially my daughter. My son has witnessed some activity but for some reason my daughter seems to be haunted the most.

ASouthernLife: What in the mother's character connected with you most and how did you prepare for the role?
Camille Farnan: I connected to Liz in many ways. The most obvious is that I am a mother of four children so I could certainly relate to the maternal instinct that Liz had to protect her two children. I also connected to her feeling of being overwhelmed at the situation. Although I have not experienced paranormal activity, I have certainly felt being overwhelmed at times being a mother of four and feeling the need for help and being at my wits end at times.

ASouthernLife: What do you see being the biggest challenge your character faces in the movie?
Camille Farnan: The biggest challenge for me in the film was staying true to Liz as I portrayed a woman being haunted by a ghost. I wanted to be real in the moment and feel the ghost present in the home in several scenes and I had to make that look believable.

ASouthernLife: How has the experience been filming inside the Lizzie Borden house?
 Camille Farnan: I did not have any scenes filmed in the Lizzie Borden house but I did go visit the set one of the days that they were filming there. It was an awesome experience to be in that house at night. I took a tour of the home with another cast member. We couldn't get any of the lights to work upstairs so when we were about to enter Lizzie's parents room, I was reluctant to walk in. I did and there was a photograph of Lizzie's mother, dead on the floor sitting on the dresser. As I looked at the photograph I realized that I was standing on the very spot where Lizzie's mother was 'axed' to death on the floor. That was a very creepy feeling!

ASouthernLife: Have you experienced anything unusual or paranormal?
Camille Farnan: No I really cannot say that I have but I have friends who have experienced some unusual things.

ASouthernLife: Before coming to this project were you interested in paranormal research or is it something you are learning filming "Provoked"?
Camille Farnan: I was interested in researching paranormal activity but never acted upon it, that is what drew me to this project.

ASouthernLife: Has working on this movie changed your opinion toward ghosts?
Camille Farnan: I believe in them as I did before. 

ASouthernLife: Would you ever consider using a Ouija board or having a séance to communicate with the spirits?
 Camille Farnan: I would be open to the idea if I could use one with people who have used them before.

ASouthernLife: Who in the cast do you think would be most scared by an encounter with a spirit?
Camille Farnan: Probably my son in the film played by Charlie Tacker.

ASouthernLife: What is the scariest ghost story that you have ever heard?
Camille Farnan: The ones we made up around the campfire as kids, late at night.

ASouthernLife: What are some of your favorite horror movies?
Camille Farnan: The Shining, The Exorcist, Carrie, The Others.

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side