Thursday, May 16, 2013

Investigations In Proficiency: My Interview With Paul Flebotte



paulPaul Flebotte is man of many talents, which have lead his life into multifaceted realms of exploration. His talents have ranged from music, (Paul has spent time incarnate as a Hip Hop artist before venturing into an original rock group called Stout in the 90’s-not to be confused with the Baltimore band of the same name), to finding himself with more scientific endeavors in the digital field where he develops websites, and firmly invested into the world of entertainment as producer and actor in Indie film making. It is a talent in proficiency and self expression, which obviously comes from a love of life that allows someone to expand into so many areas of culture and artistry. Now the Massachusetts native will explore the fantastical, and very real world of the paranormal.

In Jordan Pacheco’s “Provoked”, Paul Flebotte plays the role of paranormal investigator on a fictional television show that is the sole inspiration for the film’s lead character’s career choice, Matt-played by Chris O’Reilly. In the character of “Bill” it is Flebotte who actually explores the locations for signs of paranormal activity. Something that has obviously left an impression on the guy who now says that he plans to go on several ghost hunts this coming summer. I had a chance to ask the diverse actor some questions about his work on “Provoked”. We also talked about ghost matters, his interests and his many career “revisions” (if you will allow me some creative wording here), topics that show just how enthralled the guy is in experience life and any opportunity that may come his way with the gusto of the truly living.

ASouthernLife: In "Provoked" you play Bill, the fictional investigator on the TV series, tell me a little more about the character and his relationship to Vincent and the other characters?
Paul Flebotte: Bill is part of a team of paranormal experts, working with Kelly and Vincent. Vincent acts as host by framing the scenario for the viewer while Kelly and Bill work the investigation. Bill is somewhat of a stale character...almost like a programmer whereas he thinks and acts very methodically.

ASouthernLife: What drew you to the role and how did you prepare for the character? Did you draw inspiration from any particular paranormal investigators on television now?
Paul Flebotte:The role chose me; Jordan thought that I would be a good fit to play Bill since I have a Science background. Preparations weren't too difficult until I threw my back out the day before filming. The pain was unbearable and it definitely ruined my concentration. Thankfully we have an awesome Crew that helped me through by being patient and supportive.
If I were to say that I was inspired by a paranormal investigator on TV, then I would be lying to you - although I do like James "Bobo" Fay from Finding Bigfoot.

ASouthernLife: Have you experienced anything paranormal while on set?
Paul Flebotte: On set - No...in real life - Yes. I lived in a house where the landlord's wife had passed. My roommate and I experienced all sorts of strange occurrences such as the stereo turning on and off in the middle of the night - always full blast even though we had a volume line that was never crossed, windows mysteriously opening - always 3 inches, cabinets constantly opening and closing, footsteps up and down the stairs yet no one in sight...all sorts of crazy shit.

ASouthernLife: Was ghost hunting something you were interested in before this project and have you ever been on an investigation?
Paul Flebotte: I like watching it on TV, but never really considered doing it. I haven't been on an investigation yet, but I will be going on several this summer.

ASouthernLife: How has your experience been filming in the Lizzie Borden house?
Paul Flebotte: The house is pretty creepy. It's a little fucked up to see crime scene pictures of the murdered family members all over the house, the decrepit autopsy bed hanging on the dining room wall and two fractured skulls displayed in the curio cabinet. Though I have to admit, filming on the third floor in complete darkness was definitely a trip.

ASouthernLife: How does your character feel about using unorthodox methods to "provoke" the spirits in order to get evidence?
Paul Flebotte: We don't do that type of thing, that's why we're the professionals.

ASouthernLife: Have you ever held a séance or used a Ouija board to contact the spirits? If not would you participate in either of those methods?
Paul Flebotte: Yes I did when I was younger; I'm not sure if it worked or if it was just childhood imagination. I don't think that I would participate in something like that now. After witnessing unexplainable events first hand, I feel that it's better not to invoke spirits - I'd rather just let them be.

ASouthernLife: You also designed the website, is that something you do as a hobby or is that something you do when your not chasing ghosts?
Paul Flebotte: I have been developing websites for over 15 years. I am currently working in Senior Management but still like to develop digital builds on the side.

ASouthernLife: What is the scariest ghost story that you have ever heard?
Paul Flebotte: The Amityville Horror. I was scared shitless for weeks!

ASouthernLife:  Is acting something that you have always wanted to do?
Paul Flebotte: Yes and no. When I was really young I wanted to be an actor but my parents didn't support me, instead they focused on sports. As I grew older I got into music and ended up in a Hip Hop group called Soul House. We played all over Boston and had some local radio play as well. After that fell through, I began singing in an original rock band called STOUT. I realized that being on stage was definitely something that I enjoyed. I also realized that it was all one big act - that's why it's called a show. The transition wasn't too difficult.

ASouthernLife: Is it the same Stout out of Baltimore, the hardcore band with the gas mask as the logo?
Paul Flebotte: No it is not. We were an original hard rock band in the late 90's out of Boston. (But I sort of just lost the passion for it [singing]. No one wants to go see a forty-something year old rock star wannabe.)

ASouthernLife: What are some of your favorite horror movies?
Paul Flebotte: Believe it or not I do not like to watch Horror movies! When I was 5 years old my babysitter brought me and my 3 year old brother with her and her boyfriend to see the original Friday the 13Th in the theater. Needless to say I wasn't able to sleep without looking under my bed until I was 14 because of the Kevin Bacon scene. I've seen the movie since then and I laugh at the campiness now, but it did fuck me up for a long time. If I were to pick a favorite it would be John Carpenter's Halloween and Candyman since both Tony Moran and Tony Todd are friends of mine.

ASouthernLife: Who in the cast do you think would be most easily scared by a paranormal encounter?
Paul Flebotte: I'm not sure. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus but if I did, it would be Dave. (David Langill –producer for the film and actor.)

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side