Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Review Of “Full Moon High” (1981)


“Full Moon High” is a cookie-cutter horror/comedy from the early 80’s that solidified my love for the subgenre. The story follows a high school kid on a trip over seas to Eastern Europe with his father – Ed McMahon! He gets bit by a werewolf and comes back home to his friends and a crazy ass high school  passing himself off as his own son. The film stars Adam Arkin, Roz Kelly, Ed McMahon, Demond Wilson, and Jim J. Bullock.


This film was released in 1981 and directed by Larry Cohen (co-creator of ‘Masters Of Horror’) The filming used was very low budget stuff and it definitely shows on this movie. The editing has its moments of “oops” as well, and the acting is down right hilarious even without the jokes. I know it sounds like I am slamming this movie but I’m not. I adore it. I still watch it at least twice around Halloween.

“Full Moon High” keeps the jokes low brow and the wise cracks witty. The dialogue is quick between lines so there is no pause while the joke kicks in. It just moves on to the next scene, next line without waiting for the punch line to sink in but it is ok because it is a simple story told very simply. I think that is why I like this comedy so much. There is no thinking required. You just watch the silliness unfold and laugh and wait for the next scene. Sometimes I need that. Especially in these days were movies are trying to be all clever and shit with complicated stories and plot twists. Ok done ranting…Back to “Full Moon High”.

This film is not really going to work on all audiences, even in the horror/comedy group. Younger kids are going to see it as stupid-which is exactly what my nephew said about it when I made him watch it-he’s 16. However most of the people who like classic movies-especially from the 80’s will find this one a fun viewing experience.

***3/5*****

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side