Monday, November 12, 2012

OF Fans And Films: My Interview With Indie Director Ryan Stacy



ryan stacy
Ryan Stacy is a young Indie director from Ohio with big ideas and an even bigger passion for films. His first feature film was the low budget slasher flick “Midsummer Nightmares”. The film was rich with blood, gore and story. Most fledgling directors starting out are so eager to do the whole slice and dice “kill scene” that they tend to forget to build a solid story and personality for their characters. Ryan Stacy does not have that problem/ his vision goes beyond the kills and the nightmare and creates characters that are complete. It is obvious that he takes his time building a story and bringing it to life. It is also obvious that it is a passion. Ryan Stacy has a new horror story that is completely fan driven. It is called “Halloween: The Mask Of Michael Myers” and is 100% fan driven and funded to give back to a franchise whose creator has been a huge inspiration to him. The film is a fan-film. A completely non-profit film to show love back to an icon film with one truly iconic evil character Michael Myers.  I had the pleasure of interviewing Ryan Stacy about “Halloween: The Mask Of Michael Myers” and find out how he intends to bring the ultimate killer back to life in this celebratory cinematic project.

A Southern Life: What made you decide to do a fan film about Michael Myers?

Ryan Stacy: When I first wanted to make films, one of my dreams was to remake John Carpenter's film. This was before the current remake trend; now that it has already been made, I decided I wanted to do this. The 35th anniversary of the '78 film is coming, along with the 50th anniversary of Michael killing Judith-it all just felt like fate to me.

A Southern Life: So is Halloween your favorite all time horror film?

Ryan Stacy: For different reasons, I'd have to say "Scream" is my favorite because it was the first horror film I ever watched. "Halloween" is actually one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, which puts that flick into a whole other category for me.

A Southern Life: I take that John Carpenter is your favorite director or at least one that influenced you a lot?

Ryan Stacy: Carpenter is definitely one of my favorite directors. He was ballsy, stylistic, and extremely innovative with each of his films; I feel that he really open many doors and minds when it came to making movies, and not just in the horror genre. I see a lot of movies today and pick up on John's influence.

A Southern Life: So then your film is more of a tribute John Carpenter as it is to Halloween, who are some of the characters that will be in The Mask Of Michael Myers?

Ryan Stacy: Yes this movie will be an homage piece to not only John Carpenter & his film, but to the original franchise pre remake. Some of my characters are Lindsey Wallace, Steven Lloyd (Jamie's baby from part 6) and Danny Strode, and John Tate (Laurie's son from "H20.") And sorry to disappoint, but Josh Hartnett will not be reprising his role... (laughs)

A Southern Life: Ha, but the character will be in the film and Jamie's baby so that is an interesting story indeed. Have you got the plot worked out for the film or is it still in development?

Ryan Stacy: The script has evolved in stages. Originally this project was to be a submission to the official "Halloween" Fan Film Contest, but we couldn't produce what I had written in time, so I ran with it and developed the script more. I have been working hard on threading this script so there is a story that flows within this pre-set universe. The plot is set, just filling it in and really polishing it so this film will shine!

A Southern Life: It sounds like it going to be a very interesting and fun project, have you received any feed back from the die hard fans of the franchise?

Ryan Stacy: I have seen things! Already I have received wonderful support and excitement from fans wanting to see what we do. I have also had people from the other side of the fence who keep asking "Isn't there enough of Halloween already?" My answer to that is: "Yes, but aren't there just as many Jasons, Freddys, Leatherfaces (films), etc.-if not more?"

A Southern Life: For me this new concept of fan films is totally different. The other films have an obligation to backers and driven by money. Fan films are free expressions of a saga that is able to just be fun. I think it is a great concept so ignore the haters.

Ryan Stacy: Thanks man! They do have an obligation. Fan films are free expressions, and to be able to put a fan twist on something new is a great feeling. We have seen other fan films made within this genre and the entire production seems pretty sure we're creating something different!

A Southern Life: It sounds like it, will there be a great white hunter in this film, a sort of Dr. Loomis type character?

Ryan Stacy: Ha ha! Its funny that you mention that-I'll give you an exclusive here Rickey. Yes, we'll have a character very much like that in this film; can't give you specifics, but the fans can expect a Loomis-esque character. I mean, what is Haddonfield without a crazed doctor trailing Michael?!

A Southern Life: Exactly because it was Loomis who I think gave both Laurie and Jamie the strength and support to face and survive Michael for as long as they did.

Ryan Stacy: I agree totally. Loomis, although sometimes quite cartoonish, was the Ahab to Michael's 'Moby Dick.' We needed that one driving force to coax these strong females along. I like to think, however, that we're flipping the script on this one-things will be very different, yet eerily the same in Haddonfield "next" Halloween.

A Southern Life: So is that when The Mask Of Michael Myers will be released?

Ryan Stacy: Next Halloween is our final goal. As this fan film is meant to be a tribute film, we'd love to release it for everyone to see right about the time the first was, only 35 years later. Next year is a huge anniversary for Michael & his horrific world. Can't think of a better year to do it!

A Southern Life: So how will you release it? As a digital download or open viewing site like YouTube?

Ryan Stacy: Both have been discussed. I think right the film will probably be streamed so it's not assumed by Michael's owners that we're going about this film the wrong way; this project is a fan film and no financial profit will be made in any way. This one is for the fans, by the fans, strictly speaking.

A Southern Life: This film being a fan based film for other fans, do you anticipate any backlash as to the stories plots or the characters you will present to them?

Ryan Stacy: Of course I do! But one can expect that with any film they make. I personally just ignore the haters; chances are they want to do what I do as well and they just haven't tried, even though they think they could do it better.

A Southern Life: There will always be those few people who don't like something but for me everything about this project is awesome. To bring back those characters and plus Myers is still out there so you know these people are in jeopardy!

Ryan Stacy: Thank you! I have always thought that there were stories within the original franchise that were never tied up/abandoned/forgotten. I think the fans would like to see an original twist on them. I have always wondered, since 'Resurrection', what life would be like after the death of Laurie Strode, Michael's proverbial "unicorn." He could never catch her! But he finally did...let's look at the people that are still living, but till connected to this amazing character John Carpenter created.

A Southern Life: So have you picked your final girl (or guy) and that final battle?

Ryan Stacy: I've had a couple choices with that. And I think I might just go balls out and do something really fun!

A Southern Life: In what way?

Ryan Stacy: What I meant was, for the finale, I'll go balls out. That scene has been fun writing! With the connections to Laurie and life in Haddonfield, there are several roads to travel-I'm just having a lot of fun creating this film!

A Southern Life: So will “The Mask Of Michael Myers” be as bloody as the later films or be more shadowy and suspenseful like the original movie?

Ryan Stacy: My initial vision has always been, as you say, shadowy and suspenseful. The first film relied more on the imagination of its audience and not so much with tons of blood and gore; I respect films much more for that. What one is left to picture in their mind is by far more terrifying than something splattered across your screen for you to see.

A Southern Life: So when did you realize you wanted to be a director?

Ryan Stacy: When I was about seven or eight. I used to tell everyone I knew that when I grew up I wanted to make an "X-Men" movie (at the time, the animated series was huge). I told people that I'd pick the "bald guy" from 'Star Trek' and the secretary, Miss Stone, "The Flintstones" movie. I like to think that even at that age, I knew some shit! (laughs)

A Southern Life: So what would that movie be about if you ever made it?

Ryan Stacy: I would have focused on the Mutant Registration Act, which was a major plot point in the first Singer film in 2000. I think that I knew at a young age it was wrong to discriminate against people for being different. I attribute that to being gay; even though I didn't understand it then, I knew that I myself was different and being ignorant & judgmental was wrong and should not be tolerated. I identified with the Xavier's mutants very much in that aspect very early on in life.

A Southern Life: It is a major part of the X-Men story. You seem to focus on the deeper meanings of film, the subtext attracts you to the bigger story. What will the subtext of The Mask Of Michael Myers be?

Ryan Stacy: Honestly I am finding the subtext to be paralleled to Laurie Strode's own journey. We have a character, that like her, is young and responsible, always had to have that element of control in her life. Remove that last factor of the equation, and what do you have? Fear at it's finest. And that's what I'm breaking this script down as....Fear. Michael embodies fear itself. I'm just playing into that without making it too silly or over-the-top gory.

So as Halloween, the season becomes a fond memory for yet another cold winter and we movie closer into another new year at least we can count on one thing for the coming holiday season of 2013- A new film in which Michael Myers lays carnage about the town of Haddonfield and new blood into the life of one of the most iconic symbols of man’s evils-Michael Myers or rather The Mask Of Michael Myers. Ryan Stacy’s latest project can be found at Indiegogo and also on Facebook. I suggest everyone check it out because it is going to be a cool if not epic Indie flick that pays tribute to a legendary story in Horror.

halloween the mask of michael myers

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side