Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Christmas Feast!


Happy Holidays, Yule Blessings and yes Merry Christmas to everyone. Today has been a good one filled with family, my partner and traditions. I have watched classic Christmas cartoons, and a parade. Plus the wonderful food that we prepared for this joyous time, and the flavorful spirits that have accompanied!
First though here is the very first time I have ever been able to get my dogs to pose in Santa hats!!! Go ahead and say it with me- aaaahhhh!!!!
020019

Now the feast.
We had Turkey for the poutry driven English based tradition of Christmas, they go for goose.
021
For the bird the directions are by the package…usually 20 minutes per pound…but the seasoning is by taste. I rubbed the bird down in oil then seasoned with sage, paprika, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. I added rosemary leaves, a whole onion, and a ball of stuffing inside the bird. Oh be sure that the guts in the bag are out!…
For the older customs around Yule I also cook a ham, the germanic and pagan cultures cook a boar.
023
The ham is also cooked by package directions but I tend to cook it the night before and then remove it from the bone and slice it into a casserole dish. Christmas day I add pineapple and brown sugar and bake until caramelized.
Chicken Dressing is a great compliment for this feast. It tends to help with picky people that don’t like turkey and ham is just not enough.
017
Chicken Dressing Casserole
6 chicken breasts cooked in stock for about 1 1/2 hrs
2 pones of cornbread
5 carrot large carrots peeled and finely chopped
8 stalks of celery rinsed and finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 red onions finely chopped
3 tablespoons sage
2 tbsps salt
2 tbsps pepper
2 tbsps paprika
2 tbsps parsley
Simmer vegetables in stock in medium sauce pot for about 45 minutes while you shred chicken apart that has been cooked. In large bowl crumble cornbread then add shredded chicken. When vegetables are done ad them along with broth and mix. then add seasonings and mix thoroughly. You may need to add a little extra broth or water to mixture to get to the consistency of mash potatoes. Then place mixture into casserole dish and bake for 1 hr. Top of casserole should be at the point of browning. Bake at 375.
My sides are simple and few…
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
024
Several large potatoes boiled and then mashed. I add a large scoop of butter spread and 2 tbsps of garlic powder and slowly blend in with cream until nice and creamy.
Green Beans….
6022597632_9075280532
This is the brand I use but u can do fresh. I like these because they taste fresh. I slow cook them over night with ham trimmings and salt pork.
I also do deviled eggs…
013
and potato salad…
014
plus we heat a can of corn….
1001029_024000163022_A_400[1]
with yeast rolls…
exps46701_SD1785598D59A
and for dessert we have Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Icing!
010
I hope everyone has a joyous holiday filled with love, food, family and friends, and don’t forget the spirits!!!
Dale goes for 7&7 drinks and I prefer vodka with pomegranate juice….
Have fun and be safe!

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side