Sunday, July 14, 2019

My Review Of "Crisis Hotline"


Written and directed by Mark Schwab, "Crisis Hotline" stars Corey Jackson, Christian Gabriel and Pano Tsaklas. This LGBTQ thriller exploits the darker aspects of gay culture, with relationship conflicts seething with cruel intentions, and the tragic repercussions. 

A cynical counselor at a crisis hotline finds himself in a life or death situation when a young man calls and threatens to kill three people and then himself. 

I love seeing gay representation in horror and sci-fi. Being gay myself I often wondered when a positive show of LGBTQ diversity was going to finally take hold in the only genres I like. We have made strides, and there is plenty of representation behind the camera and with onscreen talent. There's still work to be done when it comes to strong characters and storylines. 

Now, that being said, I was slightly disappointed with "Crisis Hotline". Meant to bring some gay flavor to the thriller genre, similar to "The Call", Mark Shwab's film is greater in concept than it is in execution. I liked what he has done here as a psychological drama, but as a horror thriller - no. 

The story creates a a situation which starts out building suspense, however that suspense never reaches a peak, it doesn't crash down into a thrill ride, all the supposed horror happens off screen, and what we are left with is a Logo channel version of a Lifetime movie. Which is cool if you're into that but I need actual horror in my horror movie. (2/5)

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side