Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Interview with Walter Ruether a.k.a Scarlet Fry



72737-28705      Several weeks back I had the privilege of meeting Walter Ruether. He is a writer, director and producer of indie self produced horror anthologies such as “Horrorama”, “Junkfood Horrorfest”, not to mention the more recent “Nightmare Alley”. Born in East L.A  Walter was raised on good classic horror having spent a lot of time at ‘Bob Burns Halloween’ shows as a kid, which is prevalent in his own anthologies and hosting abilities. He currently is finishing up on his latest horror treat “Scream Machine” which is touted as a horror/sci-fi anthology. His stories instantly teleport you back to the beginnings of horror when shows like “Twilight Zone” and “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” feed us weekly doses of short terrifying treats delving into the macabre and the nightmarish.

     There is also another side of Walter Ruether, a darker and more fitting side that shows his true love of the genre that a lot of people still to this day consider a trash industry of debauchery and depravity. (which for me and many other fans and obsessors of horror is just fine.) Anyway this alter ego is the sinister and delightful horror host known as Scarlet Fry who as Walter Ruether states is modeled out of his great love of past hosts such as Zachelrey -the cool ghoul and Dr. Shocker.

images      Now as I mentioned before I met Scarlet Fry a few weeks back through this virtual ass kickin’ world of the online community of horror. After screening his earlier work “Horrorama” and “Junkfood Horrorfest” I sent him some questions that just kept playing over and over in my head. (the one downside to not meeting him out here in the physical world “yet” is the expansion of conversation that really let you into someone’s twisted world- hopefully one day shortly that issue will be rectified and I will meet Scarlet Fry) So as I was saying I sent my questions to the mastermind behind Scarlet Fry. So here is my very first interview with indie director and producer Walter Ruether, the man behind Scarlet Fry.
                         

Q: On “Junkfood Horrorfest” you have a bonus feature where you host “Carnival Of Souls”, was “Carnival…” the first horror film you ever saw?

A: Nope. It was “The Fly” with Vincent Price, I immediately fell in love with horror films.

Q: So how much of an influence did “Carnival…” have on you after you saw the film for the first time?

A: Well I was always a huge Rod Serling buff naturally I loved the “Carnival Of Souls” film. When it came time to choose a film to host, it was an easy choice.

Q: Scarlet Fry, the host in the horror anthologies, where did he come from?

A: I’m not sure – hahaha. He was a character I developed after Alice Cooper and those old time horror hosts like Dr. Shocker , Zachelrey the cool ghoul. I wanted to bring that back, this was in 1993 before a lot of these hosts that are doing it today where out there. I made the mistake of hosting my own films…oh well I still think its great that horror hosting has made such a big comeback.

Q: When did you realize that you first wanted to make horror movies?

A: As early as I can remember, when I was 12 I was quoted in my school yearbook saying “I want to make movies, or music”. Well I ended up making movies and working 9-5- hahaha.

Q: There are two shorts in “Junkfood…” that really stood out to me “The Devil Made Me Do It” and “Love Is Blind”, have you ever thought of making full length features of these two? I think they would translate well into feature films.

A: Thanks, I have a lot of ideas for a full length feature project but I’m not sure when I will be able to do one but it will happen, I'm not goin’ anywhere!

Q: In the new anthology your working on will Scarlet Fry host in that one as well?

A: The “Scream Machine Anthology” I am currently working on with David Sabal has a wrap around story so Scarlet Fry will not host, it is a little more mature than my past anthologies.

Q: What other horror films do you find yourself watching over and over?

A: Deathdream, all of the Peter Cushing Frankenstein films, “The Beast Within” and all kinds, I love the genre and have got it all.

Q: What is your favorite ‘worst film’ that most people think your nuts for liking?

A: Probably New Years Evil, everyone I know hates that movie, but I love it.

Right now you can experience Scarlet Fry at work as well as the vision of horror Walter Ruether now makes having spent his childhood dreaming of making fun frightful tales of terror. Currently out is “Junkfood Horrorfest” which comes with the classic anthology “Horrorama” and “Nightmare Alley”. And soon his next project “Scream Machine”.
cb04 nasell

550266_360606383978364_170689946303343_1040409_352898206_n

Scream Machine Facebook
Scarlet Fry Facebook

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side