Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Top Werewolf Movies of All Time

Witches, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and demons have always ruled my thoughts and passions in literature and cinema. The supernatural as a very natural and scientific yet mystical possibility sends tingles throughout every fiber of my being. In cartoons and live action the genre has dominated my dreams, nightmares, and fantasies as a child and even still as an adult.

Here is my top five werewolf movies of all time!

1) An American Werewolf in London:

I was just a kid the first time I saw this film on late night HBO. It was also one of the first time I saw a naked body on TV. The film both terrified and fascinated me. The transformation scene in the living room floor of Alex Price's flat had me in knots suffering the bone splitting agony along side David. The constant and haunting images of his victims throwing quips at him at every turn trying to convince him that suicide was the only solution had me feeling sorry for him. The humor and the death of the wolf had me gasping and the most cringing and wincing was the nightmare scene where his family was slaughtered by Nazi werewolves. This is one of the best thought out and shot films ever made. To this day I measure all werewolf transformations based on David's metamorphosis in 1981's "An American Werewolf in London". A must have for any fan of the wolf.

2) The Howling:

"The Howling" is darker and much more serious than "American Werewolf..." by all counts. The story shows the seedy underbelly of societies fascination with lust and sex. The transformations are more raw and this film was the first time I saw the giant upright terrifying wolves that towered over man and could take off your head with on bite. The film had me scared of foggy nights on back roads and always popped in my head on dark Georgia nights walking the path from my house to my cousins when we all moved out into the country.

3) Silver Bullet:
I think this is the only film that pits a handicapped person against a monster, don't hold me to that though! I do accredit it with my deep seeding mistrust and dislike of religious figures. This film made me believe that all preacher men were dark and evil and only interested in consuming everyone around them. So really "Silver Bullet" is a PSA and warning for all good catholic and religious children the world over. Head the warning, the holy man is the wolf that feeds on innocence.

4) The Wolfman:

This film although way before my time is a classic that I adore. I remember coming home from the swimming pool one weekend as a kid and waiting for Late Night Movies to come on cable. They always played old scary films or low budget monster movies. That particular night was "The Wolfman" and "The Hounds Of Baskerville". I sat there drained from sun baked skin waterlogged and even after a shower permeating from long exposure to chlorine watching complete awe at this black and white gem. That memory alone is why this film remains always in my top 5.

5) The Company Of Wolves:
This film is perfect if you like a romanticized fairytale flavor with your nightmare. I remember renting this one when VHS was all the rage and you could rent as many as 10 at a time. Yeah a long long time ago. It tales the fantasy with mystery and soft spoken passion. It has Angela Lansbury and is a text book telling of red riding hood in an adult and tasteful PG way. It's story is the heart of all werewolf folklore.

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side